Wednesday, May 2, 2012

You can laugh or cry but crying only ruins your make-up!

I started Operation P31 after much prayer, thought and consideration. I was trying to figure out who I wanted to be when I grow up. I have felt like I was being pulled in so many directions. How do I be the perfect wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, friend, employee, church member, insert role here? Because in all truthfulness, I was probably "jack of all trades master of none" in all of them. These roles do not line up neatly according to height and patiently wait their turn. They back-up, drop their head and come barreling at you full speed from all directions. Who am I, what do I want to be in all of these roles? Once I figure it out, what do I do to get there? And then I saw an old photo that sparked a thought that allowed God to plant a seed.

Have I mentioned how much I love my grandma? And even though she is no longer with me, she still influences me. The old photo was of her, hanging her laundry out to dry, a normal activity for the 1950's housewife. But there she was in a crisp top, skirt, espadrilles and red lipstick. I do not know why but it lit a spark in me. I wanted to be that kind of woman, someone who put her best foot forward even when hanging out the clothes. I realized I wanted my husband to feel honored and loved when he walked into our home without me having to say a word. We tell each other "I love you butthead" everyday, (I promised honesty and it is a term of endearment, promise.), but I wanted him feel it. I want everyone to see that I am grateful and how much I appreciate all of the blessings God has given me. Driving by my yard and closing doors to hind messes, was not doing that at all. I wish I could tell you it was because I am so busy and never have time to get anything done. I am busy but there was a little idleness going on as well. Did I really need to watch that show about housewives who are on the lam from Alaskan fishermen on redneck vacations while buying unclaimed storage containers? Well of course, but not at the expense of the things that are important. So that is the story of what got my behind in gear. The realization that a little less idleness and a little more "Do I gotta? Yes, I gotta!".

For those that do not know me, I have a job that has two big events per year. I normally have a pretty good story after each event. I am not a person who panics or stresses easily. And if I reach the point of panic, I will try my best to "remain calm and carry on". In my position, if I am panicked/stressed/worried it causes a lot of other people to do the same and that makes my job of fixing it more difficult. So if the words "You have got to be kidding me" or an abbreviation of shitaki mushroom ever exit my mouth seek cover because those slip out before I have had a chance to pull it together. The story you will hear after the event will make you laugh because I normally shhhing the EMTs with gurney's so they do not disturb the other people. Or telling my very proper attorney boss, that I do know who to use a gun if necessary and that they will just have to put to put their big girl panties on and deal with it. So here is the FUNNY, story of why the photos of the kitchen are not posted.

My dear sweet wonderful husband (no really- I am not being sarcastic) decided we would have the kitchen floor and den carpet replaced. Thank the Good Lord up above. I decided to paint the wainscoting and trim in the kitchen before the floor was replaced. My deddy taught me how to paint so I am a very neat and clean painter but white paint on new wood floor may have caused a few abbreviated shitaki mushrooms. I decided to do it in the week time frame before the installers arrived. Every evening and one vacation day were spent lovingly painting my kitchen. I scrubbed, sanded and painted (with primer) with a smile on my face. It was going to be beautiful and not need to be done for a very long time. Friday night I collapsed in to bed with thoughts of lollipops, puppies and freshly painted kitchens dancing in my head. It was like Christmas Eve, the next day my beautiful new kitchen would be complete. Not so much... The next morning the gentlemen arrived to install the floor. They were fantastic until they started pulling up the quarter-round. Then they licked they red right off my lollipop. Coming off the wall and cabinets along with the quarter-round was my beautiful sanded, primed paint in sheets like wallpaper. There was a combo of the panic phrases in the above paragraph in front of the nice gentleman, my husband and father-in-law. Needless to say there will be a slight delay in posting the before and after pictures. Oh no, there will be no posting of before without after. That would be like hearing the story of Moses and the Egyptians without hearing the part of the Red Sea parting. No thank you. Painting will begin again on Friday and should be completed on Saturday. I will post before the paint dries and my arms start to look like Popeye's. Although many more days of painting and people will be able to stand beside me as I wave without fear of being slapped by my triceps!

No comments:

Post a Comment